Friday, March 28, 2008

Settling In

Growing up, my mom taught me to never own any more than would fit in the car. This was back when we measured our life in toothpaste tubes: we had lived in such-and-such town for two toothpaste tubes; in another, for only half a tube.

It strikes me this morning how much I've failed. Between old typewriters and tea kettles, books and plants, gumball machines and lamps--sometimes I don't even know if I can fit it all in my home! Maybe this is what it means to settle in, settle down. It's not nearly as frightening (or dull or tedious) as I imagined it would be.

I roll the word on my tongue: settle. It makes me think of the sound that hangs in the air of an empty room just after the phone stops ringing; of bulbs planted in the fall; of down feathers and dreams half-remembered and turning the pillow in the middle of the night to find the cool side.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your MIL would say you are nesting.
FIL

little miss mel said...

After moving from apartment to apartment over the course of 10 years, my/our "stuff" was whittled down to necessity. Well, besides the china and crystal still stored in boxes.

But, after moving into a house and living here for almost 3 years, I would say we have more things. I would hate to have to move anytime soon.

Maybe having kids had something to do with it. Wedding gifts sure started the whole process, though!

Linsey said...

YOWZA.....U should only see my basement!... "nevets" doesn't believe in ever parting with his "vintage" items.....i'm with your mom, but i'd need room for the 2 cats in the back seat!!!!!

Author said...

lovely words... i wonder what i measure a life in... babies born? family members lost?

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said. I do remember measuring time in toothpaste tubes used. Those were fragile, yet, great times. I love you. MOM