Sunday, March 9, 2008

Health & Fitness Tip #23

Lay off the B6.

[I've been battling this cold for a week so every chance I get I'm pumping myself with Vitamin C. The thing is I've been using the fizzily little packets that also contain just under 8o000% of your daily vitamin B6 needs, and as you may or may not know, Vitamin B6 helps you to remember your dreams which sounds really grand and might be if, say, I was trying to de-code DNA and that was the sort of thing I dream about, but my dreams tend to run a bit on the ordinary side. Take for example this riveting dream I had last night: I sat in a vinyl booth in Joplin with Erryn (Hi Erryn!) and Marsha drinking a Diet Coke through a straw. (I rarely use straws.)

Things seemed to be taking a deeper turn after I was magically transported back to Brooklyn where while rummaging through my cupboard looking for a cheese grater I found the rare acai berry! Finally, one of my students was telling me about a dryer full of pencils. He was sitting across from me talking but I could only hear his words if I read them. But what does it mean? I wrote in the margins. It's so the lead stays soft, he said. Easier to write. I nodded thoughtfully, put a little check-plus at the top of his dream-essay and capped my pen.

So I guess I'm wondering why people want to remember their dreams.

To make matters even more complicated, I've also been finding it harder to differentiate between my dreamworld and reality, i.e., my spin teacher profusely bleeding from her calf this morning while yelling, Don't worry about me! Just two more hills! But that's, perhaps, another story entirely...]

4 comments:

Author said...

i had a scary dream last night about murderers and kidnappers... i'm always dreaming about such things, waking up in the middle of the night scared to bits. but that spin teacher... waking nightmare, huh?

Joe Hefner said...

My sister..I am fascinated by your dreams..I have always enjoyed having and recalling my own dreams for many reasons. Check out this website on lucid dreaming...a skill I once had, but have since abandoned due to unforeseen consequences of such control...

http://www.dreamviews.com/index.php

little miss mel said...

I hear ya on the funky ars dreams sister. I'm in the "rather not recall dreams" section.

These pg dreams are mostly bizarre erotica themed than anything else, so not all bad, right? but if I try to explain them to anyone, I get some really odd looks. Not so good.

Unfortunate Logic said...

ok. gross solution to everlasting colds: neti pot.

also: dreams: you want to remember them because people who don't think they have them, i have noticed, also seem to feel like they are missing out on something. Dreams are proof-positive that you are a successful sleeper.