Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Defy Age, Grow Wings

Don't worry, this isn't merely a reiteration of my To-Do list. Thaw the halibut. Reverse metabolism. Pick up the cleaning. No, this ain't your mama's anti-aging! No messy creams or blueberries here. This is the real deal. Last night I was invited by a former student to see a lecture with this man:
Dr. Aubrey de Grey

Dr. de Grey is a biomedical gerontologist and founder of the Methuselah Foundation. You may remember Methuselah from the Bible, the guy who lived to be 969. Well, Methusalah's got a little competition coming his way, and that competition looks a lot like me and you. If things go Dr. de Grey's way, in twenty or so years, we'll be able to undergo a few very scientific therapies that will propel us into the required rate of improvement that Dr. De Grey calls "longevity escape velocity."

Not only, he says, (barring any head-on's with a Greyhound) will we be able to live to be a thousand, we can also put off having children until we're well into our hundreds (sorry, dad). To top it all off, we can alter the size of our body parts (a-hem), and, if we're truly ambitious we can GROW WINGS. Dr. de Grey did, however, (begrudgingly) admit that this last act may be deemed unethical. (By who? I wonder. The Audobon Society?)

So, how about it? Wanna live to be a thousand and two?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's next?! Talking directly to God?

But really, how convinced were you by this guy? Like on a scale of 1-10, 1 being completely unconvinced, 10 being singing his praises.

Nicole Callihan said...

I was about an 8 being convinced he could do it; about a 2 wanting him to be able to do it. I know people who are eighty and tired of chewing food; imagine being 800!

Joe Hefner said...

I got say...I ain't buying it...I've never heard this guy's reasoning, but as a skeletal biologist, I can say that we aren't exactly built for longevity...too much bipedalism, not enough soft tissue

Unfortunate Logic said...

defy age, grow wings, NEVER CUT YOUR BEARD.

i like the way this guy thinks...no maintenence, just lots of ... what? living?

Adam Deutsch said...

His talk is up over at ted.com.

Right on.

Author said...

and you failed to mention this to me why?
I don't want to live on earth forever. I want to live in a heavenly place....
plus what about what your brother said? if there aren't enough soft tissues to go around, then what's the point? who wants to use scratchy tissues to blow their nose? Not me.
this guy should focus on finding a cure for the common cold before he goes around making us live for two million years.
plus i can't wait until joan rivers dies.
okay, i'm done now.