Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Seventh Grade

There are occasions in teaching when a student walks in and you know just by looking at her that she's smarter than you--not just capable of one day acquiring the knowledge that you've spent thirty-some-odd years gathering, but that's she's surpassed it, and likely that she surpassed it in, say, seventh grade. Such was the case of Courtney Chatellier. Last fall, Starbucks in hand, she stepped into my classroom. You're Courtney, I said, and she wasn't even fazed by my psychic abilities. Anyway, Courtney just had two essays that she wrote in my class published in NYU's Mercer Street. My favorite of the essays is about how we're all in seventh grade, how we're all walking down the halls clutching our bathroom passes and staring into classrooms; we live every moment simultaneously, as Courtney puts it:
We are creation and destruction at once, we are change and mutation, we are the skin cells of our twelve-year old noses and the domino effect of all the particles in ourselves that we rattle around and knock together in all the restless fidgeting before class starts. Tense falls apart, lies limp on the page like a word you've repeated so many times it turns into unsignified gibberish. We are what we were and what we will be. You and I are in seventh grade on the day the world possibly ends, the same day it endures into infinity when all of our atoms, star-like, are nothing but the resonance of every body that ever existed.
In honor of Courtney, here's a picture of me in seventh grade:

Can't you hear the lockers banging shut? Can't you see Clint Eliot hiding behind the tree getting ready to dump me? Ah, but the pen...even then it saved me.

4 comments:

little miss mel said...

Can we mention how you basically look the EXACT SAME as the post above? Well, the 80's style is different, but, girl, you have not aged a bit!

Kudos!

Dude, if I found a pic of me from 7th grade, I am not sure I would share. I recall having a photo of the two of us from Bid Day. (yikes!)

Anonymous said...

Courtney is my little half sister. It is my great grand dream that one day she will send me some of her writing so I can join the ranks of her supporters. In the meantime I will scry for tidbits with Google. You have my envy Nicole. -BC

Cliff and Mandy Shannon said...

That's how I remember you. You had red hair during our very brief friendship. You were 13 and I was 15, but you, as is the case with most girls at that age, were years ahead of me.

I feel like a voyeur, catching up through a blog rather than face to face. I hope you don't mind me lurking about. I'm very happy to hear all the wonderful things you've experienced.

I'm married also, to a wonderful woman. We have three young children. I finished a degree in English and a masters in Communication Arts in 1999. How's that for a three sentence summary?

Take care,
Cliff

Nicole Callihan said...

O Cliff, it almost makes me sad to think that we were that young. I think I felt older back then than I do now.

It really is nice to hear from you. Don't feel like a voyeur! It's just the age we're in, I guess.

I think I knew you were married. It's pretty great, huh? And three kids, wow. I'm not quite there yet but it can't be too far away.

Really glad you're doing well. Soon.