Saturday, August 4, 2007

Call for Recipes

My college friend, Elisabeth over at littlemissmel, sent me an email today asking for recipes; I'm completely terrified. Here's a woman I shared a boyfriend with (We love you, Fred Welch!); a woman I haven't laid eyes on in years but who looks more and more beautiful (and thinner!) in every internet photo I see; a woman who has a child and a husband and a heckuva sense of humor. So how do I send her a recipe that doesn't completely betray the woman I (want to) have become?

Do I confess that all of my recipes come out of the Weight Watchers Slow Good cookbook? Do I, say, let the email get lost in "the wedding shuffle" and simply not respond? Do I send the recipe for the beloved "Peanutbutter Stuff" (seemingly equal parts: peanut butter, syrup, sugar and butter; stir; chill) that I was raised on? Or do I own up to it all and write the email that admits that most nights we eat out, and the ones we don't, I (out of some caloric penance) un-thaw a piece of Sam's tilapia, throw it on aluminum foil with salt, pepper and olive oil and call it a night?

O, dear readers, although I sometimes pretend you don't exist (alas...a holdover from my poetry days!), I need you now. Send recipes. Anything. Maybe even everything. And dad, I'll be waiting for the hot dog casserole recipe--the ingredients of which, as instructed by my therapist, I blocked out.

7 comments:

little miss mel said...

Oh Nicole, I'm never looking for something fancy schmancy. I don't have time or energy for that. I am talking about those fish ideas you had on my comments page not long ago. I wish I was more bold with my fish, but I am still scared to go outside my comfort zone.

Here is one I still use from college days, or just after.

1 can of Ranch Style Beans
1 can of Rotel, (diced tomoatoes and green chilis)

heat together is sauce pan

make some rice

put all together with some cheese, preferably cheddar, stir and voila, dinner for days! And the dollar amount per serving is pennies!! :D

If we can get ourselves back out your way anytime soon, you'll be the first person I want to see.

p.s. I suck at spelling. How did I major in journalism?

Lee Patterson said...

Hey there Nicole! I just happened on your blog- found it through Miriam's cause I just got one of these things myself. I'm diggin it- much better than the old livejournal days.

So in an effort to redeem myself I have to share a family recipe (or like-family family recipe) because I have had these pancakes and saying they're much better than mine does not do them justice, and besides the butter I guess they're healthy... more or less:

http://www.cookquest.com/Recipes-Breakfast/German-Pancake.php

Hope you're well!

Anonymous said...

This is a Whitmore Family Fav:
Chicken Cesar Club Sandwich

Preheat oven to 350. Rub Olive Oil and salt and pepper under the skin of 2 split chicken breasts. Roast for about 35 minutes. . . set aside.

Make Cesar Salad Dressing.
Mayo, Anchovy Paste, Fresh Garlic, Dijon Mustard, Fresh Squeezed Lemon. If your're really dedicated use the food processer (me I hate to clean the thing, so I use a whisk and some elbow grease!)
Set aside and let all the flavors get together.

Toast a baguette or ciabatta, I always put a little olive oil spray on the bread halves, so they get a little crunchy.

You can choose your topping. Argula or Romain, Bacon or Pancetta, Sun Dried Tomato or Fresh.

Put dressing on both slices of your baguette, add your greens, place sliced chicken breast on greens, add freshly sliced parmesean cheese, and tomatoes and bacon or panchetta (sp?) and a bit of salt and pepper. Slice and enjoy. Me I like it with sliced apples and Iced Tea. Nothing better than the house wine of the south.

I'd say Bon Appetite, but I'm not that cool . . so hope you enjoy it ya'll !!!

This is delicious . . . And the closest I get to getting Gabe to eat salad.

Nicole Callihan said...

Scrumdilly!

Anonymous said...

Well since family recipes seems to be a theme, one from my grandma: (it's a dessert though, so I hope that's okay, oh and it's also ridiculously bad for you) -

Apple...Something

4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 cans of apple pie filling
2 sticks of soft/melted butter (I accidentally used 4 once which also works, but is also basically death upon first bite)

Mix flour, sugar, and melted butter until it's crumbly. Press 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish to form bottom crust. Spread 1 can of apple filling evenly over crust. Sprinkle 1/2 of the remaining mixture onto filling; cover with other can of filling; top with rest of flour mixture.

Bake at 375 or so for 45ish minutes. I think...I don't really know, we usually just eyeball it. Make sure it doesn't burn on top, you know, that sort of thing.

Cut into squares and serve warm with vanilla ice cream. mmm mmm.

Lane said...

Nicole, give her the Magnolia Bakery frosting recipe!

It says:
I'm sophisticated, yet down-home
I'm in-the-know
I probably know how to use an oven, and definitely a mixer
I'm secure with my body, and not afraid of butter and sugar.

If you want it, just email me.

Nicole Callihan said...

Hmm...but am I sophisticated yet downhome...always the question!