Thursday, August 9, 2007

Longing #808

Sometimes I long for a driveway that curves around, a driveway that, in the late morning after having eaten fresh berries with a touch of brown sugar and cream, I can wander up with a stack of fresh envelopes--the deep blue ink barely dry--and there at the end of the driveway, a mailbox. I'd work the jaw of it open, place the notes inside and lift the red flag.


Of course, all of that would lead to the next longing: walking back up the driveway in the afternoon, opening the mailbox and finding it not empty but with a letter. Filled with good news. From you.

3 comments:

Limonada said...

Ooooh, I want a driveway tooooooo!

little miss mel said...

that was lovely!

mail just has that certain something doesn't it?

Author said...

Lifting the red flag... I'd forgotten about that part.... I've always wanted to receive a love letter in the mail... (from someone I loved back, not a strange inmate or some creep....)