Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Honeymoon is Over...

You see, the thing is,
I like waking up to rainbows...

and a husband...

and little boats just bobbing on the surface of the sea...
I remember during the wedding planning I had a meeting with the florist, and in an attempt to "feel me out," she asked me what I love. "Poetry," I told her. "And walks on the beach and sunsets, dinners too, and lots of candles."

It took me a long moment to realize I sounded more like the curly cursive of a Playboy centerfold than an actual human, let alone, a woman, a--dare I say it? (only with half a tongue in my cheek...)--scholar. "But, yes," I said to her. "I mean, really good poems and good dinners and long walks and the kinds of sunsets after big storms." It was hopeless. I was bumbling, digging myself further and further with some pearl-encrusted shovel.

But now this again: this world. This red bird, this can of nuts, these papers and these walls, these books and these pens, this waiting for this sun (the one that's blocked by the buildings) to set, for love to come home, for water to boil, for the water that has boiled to be poured into this blue pitcher.

I mean, of course, I want to be waking up to a rainbow in the morning and lapping honey off the moon tonight, but right now, this tapping of these keys, this is what I've got, and right now, it is exactly what I need.

4 comments:

little miss mel said...

Looks like a fabulous and relaxing time!

Where did you go?

Glad you are back safe and happily wed. :)

Nicole Callihan said...

St. Barth's. Gorgeous. Incredible food. So relaxing.

Joe Hefner said...

Nicole Callihan...now that sounds weird to my ears..even the spell checker is questioning it...

Anonymous said...

The honeymoon may be over. .. but the best part starts now. There is something about having the knowledge that someone else has made a vow to God to love, honor and cherish you for the rest of their lives. Even mornings when I wake up feeling like a loser the man who made a vow to me. .. still loves me.... it's a beautiful thing. Have fun Mrs. Callihan!