Wednesday, September 19, 2007

To Carry a Pencil

A student in one of my classes, a young man from Korea, wrote a lovely composition about having chased David Beckham down for an autograph. The student, breathless but so pleased to finally be in the company of his hero, stood waiting. Beckham agreed to the autograph and asked for a pen, but the student was empty-handed. He had nothing. He remembered the sun beating down hot and heavy as he called out to anyone who passed in hopes of finding a pen, but eventually, he had to walk away, still empty-handed.

And so today in class, I read aloud a tiny story from Paul Auster's The Red Notebook. In it, an eight year-old Auster stands in front of Willie Mays begging for an autograph only to find that he, too, is pencil-less. Auster claims that he hasn't left home without a pencil since and that this is what made him a writer. What fascinates me is that as I read the story the students started reaching for their pens. By the end of it--by the time Auster announces himself a writer--they all sat, quite straight-backed I like to think now, their pens poised, ready, indeed, to write, to write as if their lives--or at very least their memorabilia--depended on it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big bummer being in the presence of your hero and unable to get the one thing that would make the moment feel complete. It's quite a way to learn a life lesson. . By the way I added a handful of pens/pencils/crayons to my purse after I read this entry, because if I ever saw someone trying to get the autograph of their hero without a pen, I want to be the person who hands them something to write with.

Simone said...

this is a great blog

Nicole Callihan said...

Thank you, Simone.

As for you Hol, there is no person I would want more to dig in her purse or in the floorboard of her car and pull out a pen. You in my moment of need: I can already see it!

Anonymous said...

My pen is your pen!