Friday, September 7, 2007

A Fly on the Plane


In 11C, and there was a fly, buzzing and whirring, and the woman next to me was telling me that to stay home with your children is to answer a higher calling and that poetry that does not rhyme is not poetry. I kept pointing at my magazine. I want to read, I told her. I'm sorry, I said and ordered water with no ice. My husband will be fat from all the pizza, she told me, and it hung in the air, the silence very real. I turned the page of my magazine. After a bit, the fly landed on her hand; it seemed a long minute before she swatted it away.

3 comments:

little miss mel said...

Oh man. What a joy that ride must of been. Hope your stay helps you to forget that lovely experience. :)

Author said...

Nightmare. Please tell me you took some liberties with this account.... Otherwise, I'll start clawing at my own face for you.....

Anonymous said...

Ah you found a computer. . . I'm so glad. Not sure I could have gone 3 days without a look into your window. I sure loved seeing you and hope you had a great time. Still hoping for a miracle :-) Much Love