Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Latin for Cake

Perhaps I've found a way to simultaneously curb my sweet tooth and quadruple my anxiety about giving birth. [Not that I'm anxious (I keep telling myself!), not at all--it's perfectly natural and beautiful; everyone was born.] I'm just struck by the vast new vocabulary I've acquired since getting knocked up.

I remember when "sunny side up" was merely a way to order eggs, when "back labor" was akin to working overtime, when "placenta" was just something somehow related to babies. Now, placenta, Latin for cake, has a whole new meaning, and those long walks down to Sugar Sweet Sunshine, the ones I couldn't do without early in my pregnancy, where I'd belly up to the counter and order vanilla cake with vanilla frosting, well, they've taken on a whole new hue.
Ah, for the days when cake meant little more than happiness and calories...

7 comments:

kate lacroix said...

no kidding!
xo

Joe Hefner said...

whoa!

Anonymous said...

There went lunch.

little miss mel said...

oh me, and oh my.

I saw the first one. somehow I didn't need to see the second.

Townes Elwood Keeth said...

Never do this again! No placenta before lunch.

Unknown said...

Usually I love reading your blog, and I don't even mind blood and guts, but this is so...gross...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, gang. Wow! I didn't realize how thoroughly entrenched I was in this whole business until I grossed out so many of you. Who knew?