Friday, November 16, 2007

Dream #1116

Early in the week, taking an English muffin out of the oven, I burned my hand. It doesn't hurt nearly as bad as it looks, but for the first few days I didn't want Cody to see it. I could hear him: Babe, you've gotta be more careful. And so I hid it. I'd put the tea towel over my arm or gesticulate wildly. Birds, I'd say. Huge ones!
And so last night, as is often my habit in dreams, I was walking along the beach. I walk for hours in my dreams, around coves and by huts, then another little bend and more ocean; it takes me forever to decide to get in the water, but when I do it's exactly what I need. In this last dream, I didn't want the salt to get into my burn. Standing on the shore I could feel the sting, but finally--I think I could sense it was almost time to wake up--I went in.

In college, Jane and I took Tina from her family one morning. Her husband (now gone) slept soundly; her children (now grown) cried. And we drove and drove, across the Red River and into Texas. We kept heading south, stopping only for cigarettes and Dr. Pepper, Waffle House and pee breaks, until finally we were there. Tina had never seen it before. She ran up the dune, and there it was: the ocean. So much bigger, she said, than she could ever have imagined.

This morning, stirring hot water into pre-packaged oatmeal (I'm taking a break from the oven), I thought about dreams and how they occupy us and how we occupy them, and I wondered what everybody else is doing while I'm walking all those miles along the beach, and then Cody was standing there. Hey, he said, what happened to your hand?

My hand?

I'd like to say he took my hand in his two hands and brought it to his mouth and kissed it. Babe, he said. I know, I know, I said, and we ate our oatmeal. I walked him to the train and thought about how in my dream my hand had actually been healed by the saltwater. We kissed goodbye; now, I am home. The breakfast dishes have been cleaned.

When I'm back in Oklahoma, one of my favorite times of the day to spend with my mom and the kids is the morning. Any good dreams last night? she'll ask as they pick sleepily at their Eggo's. I'm never sure if they're making the dreams up or not, but I love hearing them.

So how about you, any good dreams last night?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it appalling that no one has commented yet as I'm very aware that people are generally more than happy to share their dreams. Anyway, I don't remember any specifics of mine last night, but I do know that it was epic. Epic yet peaceful.

margot said...

...i had lunch with oprah and she was late because she had to go to the gym and while i was waiting i ran into my friend nick who was angry with me for not letting him meet oprah too...
i wish i was kidding but this was actually my dream.

Anonymous said...

I would like to share my dream but if I told it I'd have to kill everybody who read it, and that seems like a lot of trouble so I'll spare us all the grief for now. It was a good one though.

Anonymous said...

On Elliot Spitzer - I made moves, subtle moves but firmly rejected. Later I lost control of my minivan and drove off a highway into the ocean. I walked away from the water and headed for home. On the way I found long sought-after small rakes for my children at a hardware store, envisioned the mounds we would make to rest on and continued. Really, I am best with them - happy as I can be.

ess

Zoe Ryder White said...

I often dream about huge empty A-frame farmhouses in the middle of flat fields of something green. There's variation, but usually I can't figure out how I got there, and I keep looking and looking and as I look it all seems more and more familiar but I can't tell why. The most recent house was the kind you can see through from the road - the windows match up. I love that. Field, house, space inside house, house, field, sky. I wanted to stay a while.

Lee Patterson said...

had myself an alright one the other night- just driving around florida-ish scenery singin to some favorites. pretty realistic- guess I'm lookin forward to the break.

happy thanksgiving again!

Author said...

i feel like a very unromantic person whenever someone asks a question like this because I never remember my dreams. maybe i don't have them? it makes me sad just thinking about it....