Friday, January 11, 2008

Long Road Home

Very few of my childhood memories take place not on the road. In one or two I am sitting under a tree or curtsying in my brother's magic show, but in nearly all of the rest, I am riding shotgun to some town or the other, and my mom's at the wheel. She had a little game she played. "I'm going to take a nap," she'd say and close (presumably) one eye, the eye I could see from the passenger side. "Tell me if a curve is coming."In the beginning, it terrified me. I'd beg and plea. "Please wake up, mom. Please. We're going to die!" But after a while, it delighted me. I wanted to sing her a little sleep song, a little lullaby for the road. The air scattered the sunlight in a jillion different directions, and it was just us and glass and wheels spinning. We were a long way from home, but we knew if we kept driving and driving, we'd get there; we had each other and a six-pack of Diet Cokes and a golden arches on the horizon. Before we knew it, we'd be home, and only then, after we were almost settled, could we think of leaving again.

No comments: