Thursday, December 13, 2007

Nostalgia

A painful longing for the past, coined by Johannes Hofer in 1688. Even wine, he found, wouldn't salve it. It doesn't happen to me very often, usually only in the late fall or early spring when it's dark out but not night. I sip hot water, breathe, wait for it to go away.
In Oklahoma, my mother is iced-in. No power. Just sweatshirts and the fireplace, warm Diet Coke, canned food. Here in Brooklyn, the kitchen light glows. In a few minutes I'll go for a long walk; I imagine the cold air will do me good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A long walk.... in the cold crip air... one of my favorite past times. Hope you enjoyed it. We were iced in on Monday... no electricity... it was, surprisingly, fun! We played games and legos while we hunkered down by the fire.... I had a great time.... and despite not having access to his favorite websites or dvd's Gabe had a good time too. Hol

Anonymous said...

by crip I mean crisp. Hee hee hee

little miss mel said...

Hope the ice and the oncoming snow melts away before we get there!!!

Hope everyone is ok.