Thursday, November 8, 2007

Kundalini, aka Yoga for Lapsed Pentecostals

Yesterday, walking up Broadway, a familiar song started playing in my head. The day was cold, and my bird scarf blew a bit, and the hot Earl Grey burned my tongue, but the song stayed. I just couldn't get it out of my head; it grew louder and louder, until finally, I was belting it out. (It's New York; we allow each other brief insanities.)What a mighty God we serve, I sang, over and over. Angels adore him, I belted out, bow down before him...I knew I couldn't enter the classroom singing, but I couldn't figure out how to stop singing, and even more, I couldn't figure out how the song had snuck its way into my head. Yes, on Sunday, Cody and I went to a Christening, so I have technically stepped inside a church in the very recent past, but it was Catholic and on the Upper East Side, and, frankly, couldn't have felt any more different than the churches I grew up in.

And then it struck me: kundalini! I've been frequenting a new yoga studio, and it's "sort of out there," if you know what I mean, but it sure feels good.
You cry; you sing; you dance; you wave your arms in the air. I remember leaving class for the first time and saying to a friend, "Wow! That felt just like church!" She looked at me for a long moment. "Really?" she said. I think she might have been Methodist.

Ah, and they say the city is Godless...

3 comments:

Joe Hefner said...

hahahaha...I sing that song in my head sometimes too! I think it's the pulsating, rhythmic nature of the song...kind of like INXS' "Devil inside"

Anonymous said...

I still remember the hand motions for that song. .. being a lapsed pentecostal myself. . . I don't think you ever forget that stuff. And why should we, he's a good God!

Anonymous said...

Since I read this yesterday I've found myself singing that song about a half dozen times. It's kind of a nice detour from the song that has dominated my subconscious for the last few decades, "Groovy Kind of Love."